Friday, January 18, 2013

self-publishing adventures

I've been in the midst of self-publishing two books these past weeks. I had hoped to have both books out and about for my workshop with Karen Casey next week in Naples, Florida, but all my efforts have been insufficient to pull it off. Feeling both a bit frustrated and knowing that it's not the end of the world by any means.

While I have dealt with CreateSpace before for clients, this is the first time it has involved my own work. I am impressed with a lot about their system. The customer service folks are almost instantaneously available by phone. I've called four times with questions and had somebody on the line who could help me within 10 seconds. Courteous, friendly. Unfortunately I had a glitch with both cover and "guts" of the book that were unusual and so it took 9 extra days to resolve the color of the cover and the technical issue (involving the em dash), and only today was I able to finally approve the novel and complete the pages and move it on to Kindle as well as amazon. The novel, The Color of Longing, should be available on both starting tomorrow.  
And I just ordered some sent to Florida and some to my house for a book launch next month.

The other book, Sober Play: Using Creativity for a More Joyful Recovery, is still in the design stages. We're awfully close but not close enough to complete all the process before I leave on Wednesday morning. I knew it was ambitious to try to get two books out in the early part of the New Year (the holidays were a hold-up) but it was worth a try.







No comments:

Post a Comment